Saturday, March 8, 2008

Conference in Concord

A few days ago I found a post by FierceDaisy on a blog called Technology TIES. From what I can tell, it's a bunch of teachers in our state (North Carolina!) getting ready to go to a conference about using technology to help students learn. The posting was really interesting to me because it was made by a student, like us!

The question they were talking about was: "Why do you think shift is not happening in every classroom, in every school?" I read through them and thought that some good points were made but... well... just read what I wrote:
look... i don't mean to diss any of you "enlightened" teachers out there (i mean you're blogging, right!) but i think the biggest reason shift isn't happening is because the students aren't part of the conversation. Your talk is about the teachers and the leaders and while i get that, where are the students? How come nobody is talking about how schools are using students to help them shift? I mean, i know some math, and with a 30:1 ratio in most schools, there are a lot of us that would like to help but don't have a way.

sorry to barge in on this professional conversation but thought you might want to know how a student in your state thinks too. i think you guys have some good ideas.
FierceDaisy hasn't gotten any responses to these ideas but it gave me an idea: I'M GOING TO THE CONFERENCE! Since my senior project is about youth leadership, my teacher will definitely agree that this is research. Anybody want to join me?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's TIGHT! Whoever "Fierce Daisy" is, she's right.... she is fierce! I'll go with you to the big show... no one knows where I go or what I do anyhow! I see you on Wednesday the whole day. Can't stay the rest of the time. Let's go find out what these teachers - the ones that get it - have to say!

Anonymous said...

Ok.. this is AWESOME!!!!!!!!

i just asked my mom if she'd take me to the conference with you guys and at first she was like - i don't know - but when i told her it was next to Concord Mills she said YES!!!

but i can only come on Wednesday :-(

Julio said...

I would like to come too. I want to know if teachers are using sites like Ninjam and other places where you can make music with people all over the world. I could ask them about that, right?